Smart televisions are amazing, and the Roku television is a great example. They provide more things to do than your regular television. However, if you lose your remote, you lose access to all these features because you cannot control them properly.
If you do not know how to connect Roku TV to WiFi without remote, do not worry. There are two methods that you can use to help you out. You can either connect to a router or use two phones and set up a mobile hotspot. With these two methods, you will be able to use your phone as a substitute remote control so that you can go back to enjoying your Roku television like usual.
Things You Need Beforehand
Before you can proceed with the methods on how to connect Roku TV to WiFi without remote, there are some things that you need to prepare before your start. They are easy to get, so you do not have to worry.
Here is the list of things that you should have:
- A phone that can install the Roku application.
- A working router that can connect to the internet if you choose the first method.
- A second phone to set up your hotspot if you choose the second method.
- Previous WiFi credentials of your Roku television if you have them.
Setting Up Your Roku App
Before proceeding with either method, your phone needs to have the Roku app already installed in your phone. If you have already installed the application before, you can skip this step. Instead, you can close the Roku app and reopen it when you proceed to your preferred method.
If you have not yet set up your Roku App, here are the steps you can take:
- Go to your phone’s App Store or Google Play Store.
- Search for the Roku app.
- Install it.
- Open your application and proceed with the default settings first.
- Try to find out if your Roku television can be connected by going to Devices.
- In here, your television should show up on the list. If it is not appearing, refresh the list until it does.
- Select your Roku television from the list.
- Now that your application is connected to your Roku device press the Remote button. This way, you can now use your application as an alternative remote for your television.
After finishing these steps, you have now correctly set up your Roku application. It is directly connected to your device, and once you can join it to your WiFi, you will be able to use it as your remote control. You can proceed to either method.
First Method: Connect Using Your Router
In this first method, you can connect your Roku TV to your WiFi router. However, for this to work, your smart television should be able to recognize it and its network. Make sure that your router also has a working internet connection, or it will fail.
Here is the step-by-step process for this method:
- Using your phone as a remote control, go to the Settings section that you can find on your Roku device. If you cannot find it on the screen, use the Home button on your phone to make it appear on your screen.
- After that, press Network.
- When you press Network, you will have several options. Choose Set up connection.
- Since you are going to connect to your WiFi router, choose Wireless.
- Continue with your selection. You will see on the screen that your Roku device will be searching for available networks.
- After it is done searching, press choose a new network. The name of your WiFi should appear on the list. If it does not, choose the Scan again option until it appears on the list.
- Once you choose your network, you will be asked to type in your WiFi password.
- Press connect, and you can now use your phone as a remote control for your Roku application.
When you do this method, there is one thing you should remember to do. Make sure that you can save your current WiFi credentials – its name and password – because your Roku device will be using this when it has to connect to WiFi again in the future.
Second Method: Connect Using A Mobile Hotspot
This second method is longer and needs another mobile phone to work. However, this can be an excellent method to use if you do not have the credentials of a nearby router. There will be several sub-steps that you will need to follow for this method to work.
Step 1: Set up your Mobile Hotspot
- The first thing you will need is to go on the Settings screen of your phone that you will use as a hotspot.
- Once you reach the Settings screen, look for Mobile Hotspot and choose it.
- If you cannot find your Mobile Hotspot screen immediately, choose Cellular. Turn on Cellular Data to allow your phone to use your mobile data to connect to the internet.
- Choose to turn on the Hotspot after.
- Now that your Hotspot is working, go to the Mobile Hotspot screen and choose to set it up.
- Using the old WiFi credentials of the Roku device, change both the mobile hotspot’s name and password.
- Turn on your mobile hotspot.
- The Roku television should connect to it automatically. However, if it does not, try to turn your device off and on again.
With this, you have now set up your hotspot.
Step 2: Connect to Your Mobile Hotspot
- This time, you will use your other phone. You should have followed the steps to set up your Roku application on this phone.
- Open the application on this phone.
- Using it as a remote control, look for the Settings section on your Roku screen if you do not find it immediately, press Home until you find it.
- Choose Network.
- This time, press Set up connection on your screen and select Wireless.
- When you proceed, your Roku device should be able to detect your mobile hotspot. If it does not, choose to scan again.
- Select your mobile hotspot’s name on the screen.
- You will be asked to type in your password. Do so and press the connect button.
- You can now use your phone as a substitute remote control for your Roku television.
You are finally done with the second method. Make sure that you do not turn off your mobile hotspot on your other phone, or else it will disconnect your Roku device from your phone that has the Roku application.
Using Your Phone as a Remote Control
If you do not know how to connect Roku TV to WiFi without remote controls, these two methods can help you. Depending on whether you have access to your router or not, you can choose either one. If you have correctly set them up and followed the corresponding steps, you will connect to your device seamlessly.