Having a universal remote that can control multiple devices is extremely convenient. Rather than juggling multiple remotes for your TV, sound system, streaming device, etc., a universal remote allows you to access all these devices from one intuitive interface.
One popular universal remote is the DirecTV remote. If you have DirecTV service, you likely received a DirecTV remote with your setup. This remote can control your DirecTV satellite box or Genie DVR, and it can often be programmed to control your TV, audio devices, and more.
Samsung is one of the top TV brands on the market today. If you have a Samsung TV and want to use your DirecTV remote to control it, programming the devices is a relatively quick and simple process.
In this guide, we’ll provide a step-by-step overview of how to program a DirecTV remote to control a Samsung TV. We’ll cover models from recent years, including QLED, Crystal UHD, and standard UHD/LED sets.
What is DirecTV Remote Program?
DirecTV remote program refers to the ability to program or setup a DirecTV remote control to operate various devices like a TV, audio system, DVD player, etc.
Here are some key things to know about programming a DirecTV remote:
- It allows the remote to control other devices beyond just the DirecTV receiver. This eliminates the need for multiple remotes.
- The remote can be programmed by entering specific device codes that match the make/model you want to control.
- Codes are typically 5 digit numbers and can be found online or in the DirecTV user manual.
- To program, you put the remote in programming mode, enter the code, then confirm the code.
- Once programmed, you can use that remote to power on/off, change volume, switch inputs, etc. on that device.
- The remote has limited storage to save codes for multiple devices.
- If a code doesn’t work, you may need to try multiple codes from the list for your device.
- Improper programming can make the remote stop controlling DirecTV functions until it is reset.
- Resetting the remote erases all custom programming and resets it to factory defaults.
So in summary, the DirecTV remote program feature allows you to setup one remote to control your entire home entertainment system, providing a simplified and universal user experience.
Is it Possible to Program DirecTV Remote to Samsung TV?
Yes, it is possible to program a DirecTV remote to control a Samsung TV. Here is an overview of how to program a DirecTV remote to a Samsung TV:
- First, turn on your Samsung TV and DirecTV receiver. The devices need to be on for the remote to sync properly.
- Identify your specific DirecTV remote model from the sticker on the back. Note common models like RC71, RC32, etc.
- Look up the 5-digit programming code for Samsung TVs. There are several universal Samsung codes that work for most models: 1103, 10178, 11314, 10812, 10060.
- Enter programming mode on the DirecTV remote by pressing and holding the Mute and Enter/Select buttons until the red light blinks twice.
- Punch in the 5-digit Samsung programming code on the number keys.
- Press the Channel Up button and the red light will blink twice when the code is set.
- Test the remote’s TV control by pressing Power, Volume, Channel Up/Down buttons.
- If the Samsung TV doesn’t respond, repeat the process and try a different Samsung code.
- Also make sure batteries are fresh and aimed directly at the TV.
With some trial and error using the right setup codes, you can successfully program a DirecTV remote to control a Samsung TV’s essential functions like power, volume, channels, and input selection. The universal remote capabilities make it possible.
Before beginning the programming process, make sure you have the following:
- A DirecTV remote control
- A Samsung TV (model year 2015 or newer)
- Access to the TV and satellite box/DVR
The specific DirecTV remote model does not matter for this process. Any current DirecTV remote has the capability to control a Samsung TV after programming.
If your Samsung TV is older than 2015, the programming instructions may vary slightly. For best results, focus on TVs from the past 5-8 years.
Step 1: Turn on Your TV and Satellite Box
Make sure both your Samsung TV and DirecTV satellite box/DVR are powered on. The devices need to be on for the DirecTV remote to recognize the Samsung TV’s signal during programming.
If your TV and DirecTV equipment are connected to a stereo or surround sound system, you can leave that equipment off for now. The DirecTV remote only needs to establish a connection with the TV during this process.
Step 2: Locate the DirecTV Remote Model Number
Look at the back or bottom of your DirecTV remote control for the model number. You should find a sticker or engraved text indicating the model.
Common DirecTV remote model numbers include:
Make a note of your specific model number, as you’ll need to refer to it in Step 4.
Step 3: Find Your Samsung TV Model Code
To program the DirecTV remote to your Samsung TV, you need the Samsung’s 4-digit TV model code. Here’s how to find it:
Check the Samsung TV Menu
On your Samsung remote, press the “Menu” button to bring up the TV settings. Navigate to “System” or “System Information” and look for the “Model Code” or “Product Code”. This 4 digit code is what you’ll need to program the DirecTV remote.
For example, the model code might be “2103” or “5462”. Write this down for reference in Step 4.
Find the Code Online
If you can’t find the model code on your TV’s menu:
- Look for a sticker on the back of your Samsung TV with the model number. It will generally start with “UN” followed by numbers, such as “UN55RU7100”.
- Search online for the “Samsung TV model code” and your specific model number. For instance, search for “Samsung UN55RU7100 model code”.
- On sites like RemoteControls.com, you should find a listing of model codes that correspond to your TV. Make a note of the 4-digit number.
Try Universal Samsung Codes
If you can’t find the exact model code, try using one of these common universal codes for Samsung:
Any one of these codes will work for many Samsung TV models.
Step 4: Program the DirecTV Remote
With your DirecTV remote model number and Samsung TV model code ready, you can start programming:
For RC71, RC72, or RC73 Remotes
- On the DirecTV remote, press and hold the “Mute” and “Enter” buttons simultaneously until the red light at the top of the remote blinks twice.
- Next, on the number pad, enter the following sequence:9 – 6 – 1
- Now enter your Samsung TV’s 4-digit model code from Step 3.
For example, if the code is 5103, you would enter:
5 – 1 – 0 – 3
- Finally, press “Channel Up” on the DirecTV remote. The red light will flash twice to confirm the code is set.
For RC32 or RC66RX Remotes
The process is largely the same for the RC32 or RC66RX remote models:
- Press and hold “Mute” and “Select” simultaneously until the red light at the top blinks twice.
- Enter the code:9 – 9 – 1
- Input your Samsung TV’s 4-digit model code.
- Press “Channel Up”. The red light will blink to confirm.
Step 5: Test Remote Control Functions
Once programmed, you should be able to use your DirecTV remote to control various functions on your Samsung TV.
Try pressing the “Power” and volume buttons to turn the TV on or off and adjust volume levels. The channel rocker and number pad will switch channels on the Samsung TV as well.
If certain buttons don’t work, repeat the programming process and make sure you’re entering the correct 4-digit code. You may need to try more than one code from your TV’s menu or Samsung’s universal remote codes.
How to DirecTV Remote Programming
Here are the basic steps to program a DirecTV remote:
- Turn on the device you want to control (TV, receiver, etc).
- Identify your DirecTV remote model. The model number is usually on a sticker on the back.
- Look up the programming code for the device you want to control. Codes can often be found online or in the DirecTV manual.
- Press and hold the MUTE and SELECT buttons on the DirecTV remote until the red light at the top blinks twice.
- Enter the programming code using the number buttons on the remote. For most devices, it will be a 5 digit code.
- Press CH UP on the remote and the red light will blink twice when the code is set.
- Test if the remote works by pressing buttons like Power, Volume, Channel Up/Down.
- If the device doesn’t respond, repeat the process and enter the code again slowly and accurately.
- Try multiple codes from the list if the first one does not work.
- For help, refer to the DirecTV website/manual or call their customer support for guidance.
Program one device at a time. Make sure batteries are fresh. Aim the remote directly at the device. Follow on-screen prompts if the device asks for confirmation. With some trial and error, you should be able to get your DirecTV remote programmed successfully.
How do i Program DirecTV Remote to Samsung TV?
Here are the steps to program a DirecTV remote to control a Samsung TV:
- Turn on your Samsung TV and DirecTV receiver.
- Locate the model number of your DirecTV remote. It’s usually on a sticker on the back.
- Find your Samsung TV’s 4-digit model code. You can usually find this in the TV’s settings/system information menu.
- On the DirecTV remote, press and hold the Mute and Enter buttons until the red light at the top blinks twice.
- Enter 961 on the number keys.
- Input your Samsung TV’s 4-digit model code.
- Press the Channel Up button on the DirecTV remote.
- The red light will blink twice when the code is set.
- Test the remote functions like power, volume, channel changing to confirm it is programmed.
- If the remote won’t control the TV, repeat the steps again slowly or try a different Samsung model code.
That’s the basic process! Let me know if you need any clarification or have additional questions.
How to Program DirecTV Remote to TV Without Code?
Here are some tips for programming a DirecTV remote to a TV without needing the TV’s code:
- Try the auto-search method – On the DirecTV remote, hold down the Mute and Select buttons. The red light will blink twice. Then press and release Channel Up repeatedly as you point the remote at the TV. Stop when the TV turns off. This cycles through codes.
- Use common TV manufacturer codes – For Samsung, try 1103, 10178, 11314. For LG, try 10171, 11265. For Sony, try 10001. Keep trying codes to find one that works.
- Lookup a code based on TV model number – Search online for “[Your TV Model] DirecTV remote code” and you may find the right code.
- Use the DirecTV app – The app has a remote control setup feature that can detect TVs and look up codes.
- Trial and error – Slowly go through all the number options 0000, 0001, 0002 etc. One may work.
- Reset the remote – Reset wipes out any improper coding. Then try programming again or auto search.
- Call DirecTV support – They can assist with finding the right remote code for your TV model.
The process may take some time and patience, but you should be able to program the DirecTV remote without needing the exact TV code. Let me know if you have any other questions!
How to Reset DirecTV Remote (Step-by-Step Guide)
Here are the steps to reset a DirecTV remote:
- Locate the DirecTV model number on the back of the remote. Common models are RC65, RC66, RC32, RC71, etc.
- Press and hold the MUTE and SELECT buttons simultaneously until the red light at the top of the remote blinks twice.
- Enter one of the following codes depending on your remote model:
- For RC65/RC66, enter 981
- For RC32, enter 963
- For RC71-74, enter 981
- The red light will flash twice when the reset is successful.
- Test some typical functions like power, volume, channel changing to confirm the remote has been reset.
Resetting deletes all custom programming and returns the DirecTV remote to its original factory settings. This can help resolve issues if the remote is acting erratically or you can’t program it properly.
Let me know if you need any clarification or have trouble resetting your particular DirecTV remote model.
DirecTV Remote Codes
Here are some of the most common DirecTV remote control codes:
- Samsung – 10178, 11314, 10812, 10060
- LG – 10171, 11265
- Sony – 10001, 10602
- Vizio – 10030, 10748
- Toshiba – 10156, 10618
- Denon – 10051, 10252
- Onkyo – 10093, 10463
- Pioneer – 10090, 10178
- Samsung – 10017, 11314
- Sony – 10178, 10812
For Streaming Devices:
- Amazon Fire TV – 10547
- Apple TV – 10018
- Roku – 10549
- Chromecast – 11780
- Xbox One – 10171
- PlayStation 4 – 10463
- Blu-Ray players – 3016, 20778
To program, enter setup mode by holding MUTE and SELECT, input the 5-digit code, then press CHANNEL UP.
These codes can vary based on your specific device model. Try multiple codes if the first one does not work. Refer to DirecTV’s website or manual for additional remote codes. Let me know if you need any other help!
DirecTV Remote App
Here are some key details about the DirecTV remote control app:
- It’s called the DirecTV Remote and is available for iOS and Android mobile devices.
- The app lets you control your DirecTV receiver and TV using your smartphone or tablet as a remote.
- It connects to your DirecTV equipment via WiFi and uses IR blasting to send signals.
- You can program it to control TV power, volume, channels, DVR playback, and more.
- It has a virtual touchpad to navigate on-screen menus and guides.
- You can search for programs by voice or text.
- It includes common DVR controls like play, pause, fast forward, record, etc.
- The app has a remote finder function that beeps your physical remote.
- You can create customized remote interfaces for different rooms.
- It’s able to provide personalized show recommendations.
- The setup process links your DirecTV account and detects receivers.
- Troubleshooting tips include force closing the app, reprogramming equipment, and checking for IR interference.
Overall, the DirecTV remote app provides a convenient way to control your DirecTV system using your mobile device. It’s customizable, easy to use and eliminates the need for multiple physical remotes.
DirecTV Universal Remote
The DirecTV universal remote allows you to control multiple devices, like your TV, audio equipment, streaming box, and more, in addition to your DirecTV receiver. Here are some tips for using a DirecTV universal remote:
- Determine your specific DirecTV remote model from the sticker on the back. Common models are RC71, RC32, RC66RX, etc.
- Turn on the device you want to control before programming the remote.
- Lookup the 5-digit programming code for that device’s make/model. Codes can often be found online or in your DirecTV manual.
- Press and hold the Mute and Enter/Select keys until the light at top blinks twice.
- Enter the 5-digit code on the number keys.
- Press Channel Up and the light will blink twice when set.
- Test power, volume, channel controls to confirm programming.
- Repeat for each device you want to control.
- If a device won’t respond, try multiple codes from the list.
- Reprogram specific buttons like Input and Guide for certain functions.
- Consider labeling the buttons with stickers to keep track of what controls which device.
- Replace batteries regularly so the IR and radio signals are strong.
With some dedicated programming, the DirecTV universal remote can become the primary way you interact with your home entertainment system. Let me know if you need help with a specific device or function.
Troubleshooting DirecTV Remote Programming Issues
If you’ve gone through all of the steps but can’t get your DirecTV remote to control your Samsung TV, here are some troubleshooting tips:
- Make sure devices are powered on: Double check that your TV and satellite box/DVR are turned on when entering programming mode on the remote. The signal exchange won’t work if the devices are powered off.
- Check remote battery levels: Programming can fail if batteries in the remote are low. Replace dead batteries with fresh ones from a new pack.
- Try repeating setup: Run through the programming steps again. Go slowly when entering numeric codes on the remote to avoid mistypes.
- Re-check model codes: Confirm the 4-digit Samsung model code you’re entering matches the actual code for your TV model. Refer to your TV’s menu or look up the code online again.
- Try resetting the remote: Reset the DirecTV remote to factory defaults by holding down “Mute” and “Select” for 15 seconds. The red light will blink. Then re-program it.
- Call DirecTV support: If you still can’t program the remote, contact DirecTV technical support by phone for troubleshooting help. Support can walk through programming steps with you.
With focus and patience, you should be able to get your DirecTV remote working with your Samsung TV. Don’t hesitate to leverage DirecTV support if needed – they can remedy most programming issues.
Using Your Programmed DirecTV Remote
Once successfully set up, you’ll be able to enjoy convenient control of both your DirecTV receiver and Samsung TV using just the DirecTV remote.
Here are some of the helpful functions at your fingertips:
- Power On/Off: Turn both devices on or off together using the power button.
- Volume Control: Adjust TV volume levels smoothly.
- Channel Guide: Pull up the on-screen DirecTV channel guide and navigate with the arrow keys.
- Channel Changing: Quickly change channels on the Samsung TV.
- Input: Access different video inputs on the TV, like HDMI ports or smart apps.
- Number Pad: Input channel numbers directly.
- Recordings: Manage DirecTV DVR recordings and OnePass manager.
- QuickTune: Jump channels or filter the guide using QuickTune options.
- CC/Subtitles: Enable closed captions or alternate audio.
- Previous: Replays the last few seconds of video as a instant replay function.
- Apps: Launch apps like Netflix or YouTube via the Samsung Smart Hub.
- Smart Features: Use voice commands or get recommendations via the remote’s microphones.
- Backlighting: Illuminate keys in dim lighting.
Plus you retain all original DirecTV remote features like controlling the satellite box, managing preferences on your account, scheduling programs, and more.
With a universal DirecTV remote, you simplify not just the devices in your home theater – but your entire TV viewing experience.
FAQ About Programming a DirecTV Remote to Samsung TV
Here are answers to some commonly asked questions about pairing a DirecTV remote with a Samsung TV:
Can any DirecTV remote be programmed to a Samsung TV?
Yes, all current DirecTV remotes have universal remote capabilities that allow them to control other devices like TVs once programmed. This includes the standard remotes, as well as advanced models like the Genie and Mini Genie remotes.
What Samsung TVs are compatible?
DirecTV remotes can control 2015 and newer Samsung TV models, including QLED, Crystal UHD, Ultra HD, and standard HD sets. Very old Samsung TVs may not be compatible. The TV must use a remote with IR (infrared) signals to work with a DirecTV remote.
Why do I need a model code to program it?
Each Samsung TV has a unique model code that enables the DirecTV remote to communicate with that specific model. Without entering the proper code, the DirecTV remote can’t synchronize with the TV.
What if I don’t have the Samsung model code?
You can lookup your TV’s model code online by searching for your “Samsung model number + model code”. If unavailable, try universal Samsung codes like 1103, 10178, or 11314 which work for many models.
How long does programming take?
Once you have the DirecTV remote model number and Samsung TV model code, the actual programming process takes just a few minutes. Simply enter the codes as outlined in Step 4.
Does input or port selection work?
Yes, after programming you can change video inputs on the Samsung TV by pressing the Input or AV button on the DirecTV remote and selecting the port. This lets you access devices like game consoles or Blu-ray players.
Can I program volume to control a sound system?
While the DirecTV remote can be setup to change TV volume, independent audio devices like soundbars, AVRs, and speakers will need to be programmed separately in order for volume punch-through to work.
What if the remote stops controlling the Samsung TV?
If the DirecTV remote is working intermittently or stops controlling your Samsung TV, try reprogramming it using the steps in this guide. Also check that the batteries are not depleted.
Programming a DirecTV remote control to work with a Samsung TV provides a seamless entertainment experience. Once setup, you can turn devices on and off, adjust volume, change channels, access smart apps, and more using just one intuitive remote.
The process involves finding your DirecTV remote model number, looking up the Samsung TV model code, and entering a programming sequence using these codes. With some focused effort, you can complete programming in just a few minutes without the need for extra equipment.
Pairing your DirecTV equipment with a Samsung TV eliminates the need for multiple remotes and control devices in your living room. All of your essential TV watching functions become accessible from one easy-to-use universal remote.
So simplify your home theater and make watching TV easier by learning how to program a DirecTV remote to a Samsung TV today.