In the current era of technology, Google ChromeCast is an innovative approach to turn your smart TV into a more entertaining resource. Like Roku and Amazon Fire Stick, it is a plug-in device bringing massive options on your TV screen that gives you excellent family time together. Similar to ChromeCast, screen mirroring is another way to connect your devices with your smart TV. Though both the technologies required Wifi; however, in case of weak or spotty Wifi connection, ChromeCast allows screen mirroring to be used without Wifi or internet connection.
It is a USB cable-based device that adds a smart feature to your TV via connecting to its HDMI port. Through ChromeCast, you may cast anything from your Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, or any other Wifi enabled device directly on your smart TV screen via Google cast help. You can enjoy your photos, phone videos, Hulu, or many other things together now.
ChromeCast and WiFi
In the internet age, developers also added a Wifi feature in ChromeCast to beam content on smart TV in good quality. However, developers also understand that there are times when we are out of connection, such as being in the countryside, stuck in a forest, or simply connectivity issues from the internet provider. Therefore, unlike Roku and Amazon Fire Stick, ChromeCast possesses the exclusive feature of working without internet or Wifi connection named Guest mode. If you do not want to connect with the public internet, then you may enjoy using ChromeCast guest mode.
ChromeCast Guest Mode
The latest software version of ChromeCast launched Guest mode to enjoy screen casting even without Wifi. This feature requires a sender device like their phone, tablets, or PCs available near the ChromeCast device. It is quite easy to watch your favorite shows using ChromeCast on guest mode; even for your friends and guests.
ChromeCast Setup on Guest Mode
If you are interested in setting up the guest mode of ChromeCast, then you have to follow following points;
- Primarily, you have to be ensured that your ChromeCast is updated to the latest version of its firmware.
- Turn on your device’s guest mode and then undergo below steps:
- Connect your ChromeCast and mobile device to the same Wifi connection
- Open the Google Home application
- In the upper right corner of the screen, tap on the accounts > devices, and then scroll down to find your available ChromeCast device
- In the right upper corner of your ChromeCast device, tap on the menu button and then turn guest mode on
- Now turn on the guest mode
- Your guest mode is on now, and you can enjoy casting with your device on smart TV via ChromeCast without a Wifi connection
Use ChromeCast without WiFi via Gest Mode
To use ChromeCast without Wifi, you have to fulfil a few requirements as mentioned below;
- First of all, download and install any ChromeCast enabled application on your phone.
- After turning on the guest mode on ChromeCast, it emits a particular Wifi and Bluetooth beacon. Soon as the guest mode is launched on ChromeCast enabled device, the device starts detecting the signals of special Wifi and Bluetooth beacon. The cast icon will be available on the application.
- Tapping on the cast icon, a list will be opened, providing names of all the nearby devices as an available option. Once you have found your casting device name, select it.
- The ChromeCast will then create a 4 digit code using the Guest mode to create a connection. This code is required to be entered in the given field.
- While the nearby casting devices connect, the ChromeCast will automatically transfer this 4 digit code via inaudible and short audio tones. Often the pairing of audio tune is failed for a minute; at that time, the guest user will have a choice to connect manually via entering 4 digit number as displayed on the TV screen, as it allows quick pairing.
- Now your device is connected with ChromeCast without using Wifi any media or file, which is locally stored in your device on your smart TV screen.
Being a guest user, you can cast anything without being connected to the Wifi network of the host. On the contrary, you must have an internet connection from a different Wifi connection or via a mobile hotspot.
Troubleshoot When Device is Not Found
While casting the host device, it sometimes happens that the cast button does not show up in the ‘nearby device’ option. In this situation, check that you have allowed Google to scan local network through;
- Open the setting app on your tablet or phone.
- Tap on Google > Device connections > Cast options > Guest mode.
- Tap on OK to allow google to scan your network information and search for nearby devices to cast on.
Screen Mirroring without WiFi
For people who have a smart TV but do not have built-in WiFi, screen mirroring is the right option to enjoy their screen with everyone. Screen mirroring creates a direct wireless connection between the sender and receiving device. Therefore, there is no need for Wifi to mirror phones/devices on smart TV. However, with a Wifi connection, you will have a better experience with screen mirroring.
Is WiFi Required for ChromeCast for Screen Mirroring?
Screen mirroring is a modern device function that allows devices to mirror their content on smart TV screens. Wifi or a good internet connection allows your devices to mirror each other successfully. To watch an online video or stream web content, the internet is necessary. However, to display photos or your phone content on screen, Wifi is not that much required.
Although it can work without WiFi, screen mirroring technology is quite attainable for a number of people. All you need is receiving and sending device that supports technology and an adapter device such as ScreenBeam Mini2 for wireless display.
People can also use ChromeCast to mirror their devices on the TV screen. Unlike ChromeCasting your device on the smart TV, where you need an internet connection from different sources, screen mirroring allows people to display their content using ChromeCast without any Wi-Fi or internet. However, the feature of ChromeCast screen mirroring without internet is only available for android devices.
Presently, no such options are available for iOS devices. The ChromeCast developers mentioned in their statement that they did not intentionally omit iOS devices, but the limitations of iOS created a barrier for this innovation. However, the developers are looking for a way to launch ChromeCast screen mirroring without internet in iOS.
How to Use ChromeCast Screen Mirroring without Internet?
To avail ChromeCast screen mirroring without internet, there are the following steps to be followed:
- Open the Google home (also a name for the ChromeCast app) on your android device.
- On the top left corner, tap on the burger menu presented via three parallel lines.
- Tap on the cast audio/screen.
- There is a cast option list; select by clicking on the ChromeCast device.
- Now you will have a mirror display of your android device on the ChromeCast without any internet connection.
This screen mirroring also has some limitations on android, such as it only runs on android 4.4.2 version or above. This ChromeCast feature’s work is entirely different from that of the wireless display as the resultant output is much better than the wireless display.
1) How to Screen Mirror Computer to ChromeCast?
If you want to display your computer screen on smart TV, you have to connect it via HDMI cable, but the length of these cables is limited. Now with ChromeCast, you may mirror your computer screen wirelessly in just a few clicks. There are some simple steps of screen mirroring your computer via ChromeCast that includes:
- Connect your computer and dongle to the same Wifi connection.
- On your computer, open chrome browser.
- On the top right corner, click on the three dots and select cast by clicking.
- Now hit on the source button and choose cast tab, cast file, or cast desktop.
- Then click on the ChromeCast device you want to mirror your screen with.
Your screen is mirrored now. If you want to stop mirroring, click on the same ChromeCast device name, and mirroring will be stopped.
2) Hot to Use ChromeCast without WiFi Using Ethernet Cable?
If your Wi-Fi connection is disturbed or not working rightly, you can also use your Chromecast using the ethernet cable. In the absence of Wifi, Chromecast can be directly connected to an ethernet port of router through Chromecast Ethernet adopter. This wired connection will create a reliable and faster link for the Chromecast device
To set up ChromeCast through Ethernet cable without Wifi, you need to include a USB cable from the Ethernet adapter to the ChromeCast and then run an Ethernet cable from the Ethernet adapter to the router. The adapter needs to be plugged into the socket, and after completing all this, the ChromeCast is successfully connected to an Ethernet cable.
3) How ChromeCast Casting with Mobile Hotspot?
If you do not have an android 4.4.2 version or above the phone and are in a non-Wifi region, you may use your mobile hotspot to ChromeCast your phone. However, prior to connecting ChromeCast with a mobile hotspot, you must understand two things:
- Using mobile as a phone hotspot uses cellular data. Videos casting and streaming consumes enough data, so you better ensure that you have enough data to ChromeCast via mobile hotspot
- Mobile hotspot does not allow you to cast from the same device that you are using a hotspot resource. So, you should have another device to cast from. This could be another phone, tablet, or laptop.
4) How to Connecting ChromeCast using Mobile Hotspot?
There are a few steps to connect ChromeCast from a mobile hotspot;
- Turn on the hotspot on your phone.
- Connect ChromeCast and second device to the hotspot network.
- Now cast video from the second device.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is the Difference Between Screen Mirroring and ChromeCast?
ChromeCast is focused on multimedia streaming in contrast to the screen mirroring of MiraCast. ChromeCast does not mirror content from devices directly to ChromeCast dongle, but it pulls out internet content and uses mobile as a remote control. However, screen mirroring just replicates your screen on smart TV screen.
How to use ChromeCast with iPhone?
After plugging in the ChromeCast in your TV, turn it on. Now download the ChromeCast app on iPhone. Now go to the settings, turn on Wifi and then connect your iPhone to the ChromeCast option.
How to Screen Mirror iPhone to ChromeCast?
For iPhone screen mirroring to a Chromecast, a third-party app is required. Replica app is quite good and a free-to-use app for this purpose, and it is easily available on the apple store. The steps to mirror iPhone using Chromecast are;
- Download the Replica app and launch it from your iPhone.
- Setup your ChromeCast with ChromeCast app.
- Assure that your iPhone and ChromeCast are connected to the same Wifi.
- From the displayed device list, ChromeCast to the ChromeCast device.
- Now tap on the ‘start button, and the screen mirroring is done
How to use ChromeCast on iPhone without Wifi?
The iPhone users can connect their iPhone to the ChromeCast using a travel router. This travel router will provide a local Wifi network and allow iOS devices to ChromeCast without Wifi.
Where is the reset button on a ChromeCast?
It is a black button on your ChromeCast device right below the MicroUSB port. To reset, you need to press and hold it for up to 25 seconds while it is hooked up to your TV.
ChromeCast and screen mirroring both are part of current technology, and developers are introducing more feasibility for users via introducing different options. Although Wi-Fi is available almost everywhere and it is also our need now, there are often issues with Wi-Fi connectivity. Therefore, developers also overcome this issue via providing ChromeCast screen mirroring without internet.
Now people can easily stream locally stored content from their laptop, android, and iOS devices to the TV screen even without Wifi. Moreover, ChromeCast is quite affordable to everyone easily. Also, it is a small portable device or can be fixed for a longer time with your TV. It is advantageous in the absence of the internet or having limited data packages. Additionally, it also gives you joy while travelling via a travelling router or a third-party app. Overall, it is an excellent device and allows many device connectivities in different situations.